In 2016, the first entry in the Deadpool series debuted and earned over $783 million on a $58 million budget, became the highest-grossing R-rated film, and the highest-grossing X-Men film. Naturally, Deadpool 2 followed and broke those records again. So, where is Deadpool 3?! Before we dive in, let’s rewind a bit.
Earlier this year, the Walt Disney Company officially acquired 21st Century Fox for $71.3 billion. Three things followed suit:
- This merger pretty much hit the brakes on everything that was already in development at Fox, aside from X-Men: Dark Phoenix and Stuber, which were both released this summer.
- The Mouse House acquired some significant franchises and networks: Avatar, Simpsons, FX Networks and National Geographic Partners to name a few (keep in mind, they also bought the Star Wars franchise in 2012).
- Disney received Fox’s 30 percent ownership of Hulu, giving Disney a controlling share of 60 percent.
While the Walt Disney Company was evolving into one of the biggest multinational mass media and entertainment conglomerates in the world, you can see how starting production on Deadpool 3 wasn’t at the top of their to-do list.
However, what we did find out is it’s not a factor of if a third entry to the franchise will happen, but when.
Rob Liefeld is the creator of Deadpool and knows just how important the franchise was to 21st Century Fox. Compare the money both Deadpool movies raked in to the not-so-successful 2019 releases of X-Men: Dark Phoneix and Stuber, one can’t really argue.
Now that we know Deadpool won’t be scrapped, what exactly should we expect to see in the third movie? Well, that gets a little bit more complex.
Brent Lang, an executive editor at Vox, reported that this is something the studios are still juggling.
Lang also points out the rights to Deadpool, the Fantastic 4, and the X-Men all came with the acquisition of 21st Century Fox (internal screaming). With Kevin Feige now having these characters at his disposal, who knows if the third installment will even be a solo film. Will Deadpool make his introduction like Black Panther or Spider-Man in Captain America: Civil War? Will we see Deadpool team up with yet another superhero for some interesting on-screen chemistry? How the Marvel Studios President molds the future of the MCU with a new batch of superheroes seems to be shrouded in mystery for the time being.
However they decide to integrate Deadpool, we’ll absolutely be seeing him in the future. Disney chairman, Alan Horn, spoke at a presentation at CinemaCon in Las Vegas back in April and gave us a final stamp of hope saying, “you’ll be seeing more of Deadpool in the years to come.”
Listen, we’re all excited Disney finally has the chance to bring all of our favorite super heroes to the big screen. We all know they’re going to pull if off. But exactly how is what leaves us all biting our fingers nails until the curtains rise.
I’ll leave you with some questions to ponder:
- Should the third Deadpool film be another solo movie?
- Should Deadpool 3 even be rated-R?
- Should Disney allow the character to drop f -bombs and make sexually explicit jokes to their ordinary family demographic while standing side by side to, say, Tom Holland’s PG-rated Spider-Man?
- Will we see a seamless introduction to Deadpool similarly to Spider-Man and Black Panther’s appearance in Captain America: Civil War?
- Will we see the Fantastic 4 or members of the X-men before we get Deadpool?!
- How long will we have to wait to find all this out?!
How would you like to see future iterations of Deadpool? Let us know! Tweet at us @789mediaco!